Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Wishcasting IV

                                           Sylvia Rivera (right side in yellow)

                                       Marsha P. Johnson

             

Who do you wish to give (or send) a hug?

 

Thinking about this became thoughts about gratitude for me. These are the people I would like to hug today.

Sylvia Rivera and Marsha P. Johnson fought at the Stonewall Riots in 1969 New York City where gay men, queens, lesbians and straight allies rioted and refused to cooperate with the police. This led to the Gay Liberation movement and to the visibility GBLTQ people currently have. There is still too much cruelty, hate and suffering for GBLTQ people in the United States, but these queens started a wave of social change by refusing to be treated as criminals for being gay or wearing drag.

I identify as a queer woman and it is to these people that I owe not having to pretend, lie or be afraid of myself. I am so grateful that they put themselves on the line and that it has helped GBLTQ people for decades-and centuries- to come.

I'd also like to hug RuPaul and say thank you. I first heard RuPaul when _Supermodel of the World_ came out and have always loved her attitude. _Drag Race_ showcases drag as an art form and supports the amazing creativity of the contestands, while inspiring many people. RuPaul's work with self-love is a treasure and got me through very hard times. Again, I am grateful. Thanks and hugs to every one.

5 comments:

  1. What a great wish. As you wish for yourself and others, so I wish for you also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FABULOUS post! I would hug all these people for the same reasons!!! As you wish, so too do I wish for you...

    And I don't mean to be forward, but do you have an Etsy shop? Are you on any teams? If you have a shop, we'd love to have you on the Queer Etsy Street Team! Check it out if you're there & interested: http://www.etsy.com/teams/6130/queer-etsy-team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, so sorry for my delay!

      I have done some crafty things but do not currently have an etsy shop-but I so want to see the street team. Thanks so much.

      Delete
  3. As you wish for yourself Jesssica so I wish for you also. Sending hugs your way. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome wish!!

    As Jessica wishes for herself, so I wish for her also x

    ReplyDelete