Thursday, August 16, 2012

A Bit of Sparkle







                      (Why yes, I do love RuPaul's Drag Race. Don't you love Raja's hat?)

I was diagnosed with fibro around this time last year. There was a pileup of things that went wrong doctor-wise, working was and is not possible and I wound up stuck inside most of the time-and angry at myself for feeling sick instead of taking the time to do artful things.
You can't do that when you are sleepy and foggy and slow on meds. Some types of clothes hurt or are too uncomfortable. It was not a surprise that pajamas were one of my regular looks. I used to be very style conscious  and loved fashion...and there I was just aching in pain and wanting to sleep instead.

I wound up revived after watching RuPaul's Drag Race and realized that it meant so much to adorn myself. I started by leaving lip glosses around the house where I would go. Even if I was in pajamas, I'd add a little to my lips. It sparkled (literally) and it made me sparkle back.

I started getting dressed up a bit again; I could at least do a black skirt and a fun tee. When I didn't feel up to it, it was pajamas and lip gloss. That little bit made such a difference. Raja didn't care what other people thought of her drag (dovetailing nicely with current champion Sharon Needles). If Raja and Sharon and the other queens wore what they loved and didn't care what others thought-perhaps I could do that again.

I dress up comfortably and nicely when I go out. It lifts my spirits and that is half the battle. I put silk flowers in my hair, do up my eyes and put on gloss. There's a difference in me.
Even on a bad pain day, I can put on gloss and a comfortable lounging gown. I sparkle.

I think sparkle makes all the difference. Not everyone will see this the way I do-you may not present as femme, may not like makeup, any number of things. However, I encourage you to sparkle in what ways you like. Treat yourself and create yourself as art.





No comments:

Post a Comment